April 4th has been designated globally as World Stray Animal Day and we’ve launched a week-long campaign to support our two charity partners that are doing important work to help alleviate the challenges of stray animal populations in Greece, as well as increase positive awareness about animals in their local communities.
Help us raise $2,500 to support the critical work two organizations are doing in Greece to help stray animals. This week-long campaign will run until midnight on April 11, 2021.
The Greek America Foundation has “adopted” two organizations in Greece and we have created a special fund to allow U.S. donors to make tax-deductible contributions. We have agreements in place with both organizations that allow us to request updates on the use of our funds and both organizations have committed to full transparency.
The Souda Shelter Project operates in Hania, on the island of Crete, where a huge stray animal problem exists. The shelter hosts dozens of dogs that have been found on the streets, or abandoned by human owners. After rehabilitation, the organization helps find forever homes for animals throughout Greece, Europe and even the United States.
Animal Welfare Karpathos operates on the island of Karpathos, another place in Greece where stray animals have presented a host of challenges to the local population. Founded by dedicated volunteers, including Greek Americans with close ties to the island, this organization has been recognized globally by prominent public figures including Jane Goodall— and even the President of Greece, Katerina Sakellaropoulou, who adopted one of the organization’s stray cats.
Click here to help us help them. All funds raised during this World Stray Animal Day week-long campaign will be divided equally between the two organizations, unless otherwise specified on your donation.
When making your donation, you can choose to make it in honor or in memory of your beloved four-legged companion. And if you’d like, feel free to send us a photo to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll include it in a collage we’re creating to post on our social media.
Thanks to the following generous donors
List updated as of April 10.
- Gregory Pappas and Agamemnon Polyzois in honor of Duke
- The Livesay Family in memory of Buddy
- Gregory Pappas and Agamemnon Polyzois in memory of Argo and Leslie
- Kristina Tsipouras in honor of all the animals that my yiayia used to feed in Salonika every night and in memory of Pumpkin and Juliet
- Anna Katogiritis in memory of my beloved first stray cat from Karpathos, Pitsounoula
- Olga Goldberger in memory of Pumpkin, my late dog
- Tina Cowoski
- Vicky Stamateas in honor of my first and only dog, Zeus
- Ameigh Schwarz
- Anthoula Katsimatides in honor of Smokey
- Christine Hoffman in honor of the Green dogs
- Amy Johns in memory of the Diakomanolis family from Karpathos and in honor of my rescue pup Whiskey
- Margo Machuga
- Hope Stamatiades
- Penelope Papalambros
- Jacqueline Dubowsky
- Konstantinos P. Kostis in memory of my beloved Bichon Kassey
- Kathy Balouris in honor of Matteo & Rocco
- Sydney Bialek in honor of Thena
- Maria Loizou
- Kristina Avallone in memory of Hobi
- Anastasia and James Ramsburgh in memory of Zoe