Why this project?
From Gregory C. Pappas, President & Founder
We launched Greek America’s Forty Under 40 in 2010 as a way to recognize, honor and celebrate the brightest and most successful members of our community who excel not only professionally but also philanthropically. Since their inauguration, the Forty Under 40 Awards have recognized 200 exceptional individuals coming from various walks of life and from throughout North America. Our hope is to maintain this biannual tradition to ensure that young adults remain engaged with our community and to uplift, encourage and inspire them to continue their pursuit of excellence.
Meet the Class of 2022
Our latest Forty Under 40 winners have been announced! Click below to see our full page and read about each honoree.
Upcoming Forty Under 40 Events in New York City
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we were unable to celebrate the class of 2020, in-person — until now. During the weekend of our 2022 Gabby Awards in New York City, we are planning a joint celebration for the classes of 2020 and 2022. Two celebratory events are taking place on Saturday, June 4.
1) Brunch at Avra Madison, one of New York City’s famed Greek restaurants. Event is by invitation-only for award recipients and their guests.
2) Greek Summer Rooftop Celebration at the Boro Hotel. A closing party with music by DJ Chad Mamba (direct from Athens) and dancing to welcome the start of Greek Summer. The event is proudly hosted by Athena Dion and sponsored by the Boro Hotel on their rooftop, with stunning views of the Manhattan skyline. This event is FREE for Forty Under 40 honorees and one guest, as well as open to the public.
To purchase tickets for the rooftop event, click below.
About the awards
The Forty Under 40 Awards are the leading recognition for North Americans of Greek descent, 40 years old and under, celebrating the community’s top young talent in business, the arts, the sciences and other fields. Since 2010, the Greek America Foundation has held a biannual awards reception acknowledging the outstanding accomplishments of these selected individuals.
The awards are given every two years and recognize those who have excelled in their professional endeavors while simultaneously showing care and concern for the world around them through philanthropic initiatives.
Excellence and philanthropy are two ideals espoused in the mission statement of the Greek America Foundation and our Forty Under 40 winners are the epitome of both.
Previous winners have included Emmy Award-winning directors and actors, successful business leaders in diverse industries, artists, and leaders in the sciences and law.
– Sole criteria of awards are the individual’s professional achievement AND philanthropic activity.
– Nominees must be U.S. or Canadian citizens or legal permanent residents of either country — and claim Greek heritage.
– Our awards recognize individuals who are between 17 and 40 years old in the given calendar year. For example, for the class of 2022, the nominee’s 17th to 40th birthday must fall any time within the 2021 calendar year for him/her to qualify.
Following an official announcement (click here to subscribe to our email list) in early December of the year prior to the awards (i.e. December 2021 for class of 2022), the Greek America Foundation begins to receive nominations via our online form. All nominations must include the nominee’s full date of birth, which will be verified if the nomination advances to the final round. Nominators must also submit an essay NO MORE THAN 1000 words highlighting why the nominee deserves this distinction. Letters must include all professional accomplishments and philanthropic endeavors in which the individual has participated or supported that will make him/her stand out.
A special committee is formed of past Forty Under 40 winners who review all applications and determine the winners. Winners are determined based on their achievement of excellence and commitment to philanthropy. In cases where a member of the selection committee has nominated someone himself/herself, then that member will obstain from voting on his/her nominee.
In our efforts to maintain a fair and impartial selection process, no members of the Greek America Foundation staff or board of directors are included in this completely independent selection process.