We are now accepting applications for more than 40 spots in our Greek America Corps summer 2021 volunteer programs in Greece and we invite our supporters to generously sponsor a student and offer him or her a life-changing experience.
Following several successful summer volunteer programs since launching in 2017, we are proud to make Greek America Corps an integral part of our programming.
Each program has a specific mission and involves volunteer work with accredited Greek non-profit organizations whose work addresses issues such as homelessness, food insecurity, unaccompanied refugee minors, disenfranchised Greek youth and animal welfare.
The aim of these programs is to instill the Greek values of philanthropy and philotimo in all participants. At the same time, our efforts will provide critical humanitarian aid to non-profit organizations in Greece.
Our most recent program in August 2020 saw six volunteers and staff travel to Greece amid the COVID-19 pandemic with special permission from the Greek Embassy in Washington D.C. and U.S. Embassy in Athens.
The program was highly successful and in the video below our volunteers share their “life-changing” and “transformative” experiences.
How to sponsor a student?
Various options are available for those who wish to donate to cover the cost of one or more students’ participation in our 2021 programs. The program fees per student are $3,799.00. This cost includes accommodations, multiple meals, all cultural activities/excursions, medical/health insurance and administrative fees.
3) Create a Facebook fundraiser (instructions follow below).
- Click this link.
- For the question “Who are you raising money for?” enter “Greek America Foundation.”
- For the question “How much do you want to raise?” enter the amount $3,800 or the amount based on the number of students you wish to sponsor.
- For the question “When should your fundraiser end?” select the last day of your fundraiser. This depends on how long you’d like for your fundraiser to last.
- For the question “What’s the title of your fundraiser?” you can choose something appropriate to your specific fundraiser – for example: “[Insert name] Family Fundraiser for Greek America Foundation.”
- For the question “Why are you raising money?” we have provided text below that you can use. Please feel free to copy and paste this text or edit it into your own voice.
Why are you raising money? (Optional copy/paste)
“I am raising money to sponsor a student to participate in Greek America Corps, the summer volunteer program of a New York-based non-profit called the Greek America Foundation, an organization which has more than a decade-long track record of charitable and philanthropic work both in North America and Greece. Greek America Corps is an initiative that has changed the lives of dozens of young North Americans by engaging them in meaningful volunteer programs with accredited non-profit organizations in Greece. These programs have connected them with their inner-selves — instilling in them the importance of volunteerism, service and philanthropy by allowing them to experience firsthand the smile on the face of someone they are feeding, supporting and serving. For more information about the program, click here: https://greekamerica.org/gacorps/. Please note that Facebook pays all the processing fees for you, so 100% of your donation goes directly to the Greek America Foundation.”
7. The final step is to choose a cover photo for your campaign. We have already created a selection of photos properly sized for Facebook from which you may choose. Click here to see the photos and select whichever you prefer.
Important Note RE: COVID-19
The Greek America Foundation is actively monitoring COVID-19-related developments. At any given time, the foundation may adjust plans for 2022 programs depending on health guidelines and travel restrictions.