The Greeks have a tradition of starting their new year with a right step into the home. It’s called “podariko.” Last year we started our own version of “podariko” by asking friends and supporters to pitch in just a few dollars to start off the new year with a good deed– to support vulnerable children in Greece.
I hope you’ll join me in starting 2022 on the right foot. I firmly believe that it feels good to do good and this is a great way to start things off in 2022! That’s why we’ve launched our 22 for 22 campaign.
We’re proud of the support we’ve given over the years to accredited children’s charities in Greece and, with your support, we will do it again in 2022. As of December 2021, the Greek America Foundation has awarded $45,000 in grants to charities serving vulnerable children.
Did you know that 24.2 % of children in the European Union were at risk of poverty or social exclusion in 2020, more than working-aged adults and older people. Sadly, if you look at the official Eurostat statistics, Greece’s children land above the EU average at more than 30 per cent at risk of poverty or social inclusion.
While the support we give won’t make a dent in these statistics, we do know that our charity partners are making a difference in the lives of so many of these vulnerable children and… one child at a time, we can make a small difference in their lives.
You can see the updated list of all campaign donors below.
Happy New Year!
Gregory C. Pappas
Greek America Foundation
$2,090 out of $2,200 goal raised!
Thanks to the following generous donors
List updated daily Monday-Friday. Updated as of January 21.
- Gregory C. Pappas in Memory of Christ and Joann Pappas
- Darden Livesay
- Emmanuel and Kelly Yakumithis
- Evellyn Tsiadis
- Nora Presti in memory of Nicholas, Ariadne & Constantine Coules and in memory of Theo Alexi, Pauline & Dennis
- Bishop Demetrios of Mokissos
- Renee Betzelos in memory of Angelo and Bessie Betzelos
- Maria Gabriella Anagnostopoulos
- Anthony Orisses
- Nikolaos Karavitis
- William P. in memory of Lt. Casey Hilton, Battalion Chief, Martin County FLA
- Dimitris Papaconstantinou
- The Chiampas Family
- Angelika Dimoka and Paul Pavlou
- George Bellios
- Lia Bozonelis
- George Lucas & Rudyard Heady
- Renee Cassis Catsimatides in memory of Michael and Mary Catsimatides
- Demetra Tsantes in memory of Vasilios S Kavarligos
- Fay and Spyridon Demakis
- Olga and Maria Mavrogenes in memory of Harry Mavrogenes
- Marianna Cardenas
- John Lyssikatos