Following our week-long World Stray Animal Day fundraiser earlier this month, we are pleased to announce that we’ve disbursed almost $4,000 in grants to two animal welfare charities in Greece.
An amount of $2,631 was sent to the Souda Shelter Project and $1,360 to Animal Welfare Karpathos.
These funds came from generous donors throughout North America who supported our fundraiser while making donations in honor or memory of their own four-legged friends. See the complete list of donors below.
All of the aforementioned funds will directly benefit the two recipient charities which do important work to help stray animals in Greece, as well as increase awareness in their local communities.
Furthermore, thanks to our ongoing partnership with the Souda Shelter, U.S. donors can make tax-deductible contributions throughout the year. We have an agreement in place with the organization which allows us to request updates on the use of our funds. Souda has committed to full transparency.
The Souda Shelter Project operates in Hania, on the island of Crete, where a huge stray animal problem exists. The shelter hosts dozens of dogs that have been found on the streets, or abandoned by human owners. After rehabilitation, the organization helps find forever homes for animals throughout Greece, Europe and even the United States.
Animal Welfare Karpathos operates on the island of Karpathos, another place in Greece where stray animals have presented a host of challenges to the local population.
Thanks to the following generous donors
- Gregory Pappas and Agamemnon Polyzois in honor of Duke
- The Livesay Family in memory of Buddy
- Gregory Pappas and Agamemnon Polyzois in memory of Argo and Leslie
- Kristina Tsipouras in honor of all the animals that my yiayia used to feed in Salonika every night and in memory of Pumpkin and Juliet
- Anna Katogiritis in memory of my beloved first stray cat from Karpathos, Pitsounoula
- Olga Goldberger in memory of Pumpkin, my late dog
- Tina Cowoski
- Vicky Stamateas in honor of my first and only dog, Zeus
- Ameigh Schwarz
- Anthoula Katsimatides in honor of Smokey
- Christine Hoffman in honor of the Green dogs
- Amy Johns in memory of the Diakomanolis family from Karpathos and in honor of my rescue pup Whiskey
- Margo Machuga
- Hope Stamatiades
- Penelope Papalambros
- Jacqueline Dubowsky
- Konstantinos P. Kostis in memory of my beloved Bichon Kassey
- Kathy Balouris in honor of Matteo & Rocco
- Sydney Bialek in honor of Thena
- Maria Loizou
- Kristina Avallone in memory of Hobi
- Anastasia and James Ramsburgh in memory of Zoe